Toronto’s roof repair specialists http://www.mrroofrepair.ca show the cause of shingles blowing off. The nails used underneath shingles need to be of adequate size to hold the shingles in place. Without the right size, loose shingles can be easily blown off the roof.
Mr. Roof Repair – Toronto’s roofing experts since 1979. Visit http://www.mrroofrepair.ca or call (416) 267-7663 for a free estimate in the GTA.
Hi, CORVAIRWILD here. A little about me and what I do: First, I love my wife of many years, she is a wonderful lady. I call her Mrs CW. I can never go anywhere without her & my Dog Muggs! He’s cool. You should have a dog like him too. Next, I am a landlord, NO, not a slumlord who does section 8 apartment rentals, but I keep my properties up like they were my own…they are my own! Like I live there. I have lots of apartment buildings, a farm out in the country and a house here and there. I am always doing something, driving rehabbing, you name it! I want to include you, so I bring my camera! EVERYWHERE! Haha.
Did I mention I am a car enthusiast! I can’t get enough Covairs and Vintage Chevy and GMC trucks. They have great reliability…all of em’ the best vehicle on the road ever is a Corvair Spider Turbo. Back to the trucks, I love the diesel trucks and suburbans, Blazers too. That’s what I plow snow with. A fisher snow plow. I’m a busy guy, but I make time for you. Thanks! CW
Watch the full episode: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask-toh/video/0,,20995315,00.html
Ask This Old House general contractor Tom Silva reveals the best ways to secure shingles to a roof. (See below for a shopping list, tools, and steps.)
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=thisoldhouse
Shopping List for How to Install Roof Shingles:
– 8-inch aluminum drip edge
– 1 1/4-inch galvanized roofing nails
– 30-lb. asphalt roofing felt paper
– 3-tab shingles
Tools List for How to Install Roof Shingles:
– Chalk line
– Tape measure
– Rafter square
– Utility knife
Steps for How to Install Roof Shingles:
1. These project guidelines are for low roofs that allow easy access, such as those on porches, sheds, or doghouses. For larger roofs, hiring a professional roofing crew with proper fall protection is advised.
2. Line up aluminum drip edge flush with the edge of the roof and make a pencil line at the top on each end of the house.
3. Using the chalk line, snap a line between the two marks to get a straight edge.
4. Pull the drip edge down about a half-inch from that line to create a gap between the drip edge and the fascia board.
5. Nail the drip edge in place using 1 1/4-inch galvanized roofing nails and a hammer.
6. Repeat steps for gabled ends, installing the drip edge up the roof along the gable.
7. Lay out 30-lb. asphalt roofing felt paper and nail it in place using 1 1/4-inch galvanized roofing nails.
8. To lay out the design for the shingles, begin at the bottom of the roof and place a tape measure 1/2 inch from the edge of the roof to ensure the shingles overhang the drip edge.
9. Mark 12 inches up on the roof for the first course of shingles, then mark every 5 inches all the way up the roof to set your reveal. Do this on both sides of the roof.
10. Using the chalk line, snap a straight line on each 5-inch increment.
11. Use the chalk line to snap a straight line vertically every 6 inches.
12. Install a starter course by cutting off the three tabs on a shingle, leaving only the top tar section.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
Tweets by AskTOH
Receive free quotes for the top roofing companies near you by completing this simple online form:
You will receive the most competitive deals for home roof repair and replacement near you instantly
Always get the best deal on your home roof replacement from the best local roof contractors.
Apply today for a quote on Flat Roof Repair Sacramento CA and receive the best service for the lowest cost.
For more roof company help visit:
Kung Fu Maintenance shows the preventative repair of a bunch of loose asphalt roof shingles blowing up in the wind.
Here we demonstrate the correct method for fixing a broken roof tile if you are using roof silicone. We make the point that filling the watercourse on both sides of the broken tile is extremely important. Too many tradespeople and DIY home owners will use silicone only on the broken edge and when the water runs down the tiles watercourse it can be blocked by the silicone and then back up into the roof. Filling the watercourse will also increase the overall strength of repaired tile.
It is always better to use a new tile to fix roof leaks but in this case there were no spares at the house and a heavy rain is predicted for that evening. The homeowner had already experienced some leaks the night before.
How to find and repair a roof leak. Sometimes, once you open up a roof, you might find more than one thing wrong with it.
FHA Florida Home Improvement Associates Shingle roof Installation using Certainteed Landmark Pro roofing system, keep in mind that the roof that was removed was replaced just 8 years ago!
Call us for a free estimate 954-792-4415 we serve Miami Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, Orlando, Jacksonville, The Space Coast
We Not only do Roofing, we also provide the Highest Quality, best installed, best manufactured Impact resistant windows and doors with the industry’s best warranty!
This video details the five most common mistake when installing asphalt shingles. If you’re attempting to replace or repair your roof, make sure you don’t make these mistakes! Go now to http://www.RoofingIntelligence.com to get the entire multi-part video series with all the information you’ll need to install a shingle roof yourself. This video series is available to stream immediately online or to purchase as a DVD.
The most common mistakes include: putting the nails in the wrong place, using shingles on a flat or low slope roof, poor pipe flashing, using the incorrect overhang, and racking architectural shingles.
Chris is a professional roofer from Athens, Georgia and has created RoofingIntelligence.com to help home owners and other roofers install their roofs easily and correctly.
Had a heavy rainstorm and was up in the attic doing some tests on my internet connection when I discovered a leak at an old gas heater exhaust vent so my friend CJ helped me out putting some tar (called Rubber Wet Patch Roof Cement) around the edges and looks like that stopped it!
Eventually, I’ll get that old vent removed..
Video and music created on March 6, 2011 using FlipShare.
ALL MY PLAYLISTS:
PROJECT ‘MEGA SHED’: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkXV19OiCieWpAV5beCpgZ2llH77DSSgT
SUPPORT MY VIDEOS: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FMG33CEVT6PU8